Welcome



“It is in the order to really see, to see ever deeper, ever more intensely, hence to be fully aware and alive, that I draw what the Chinese call ‘The Ten Thousand Things’ around me. Drawing is the discipline by which I constantly rediscover the world.

I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is”.

(Frederick Franck, ‘The Zen of Seeing’).


Thursday 4 July 2013

206 - A Farm near Leadgate in Monochrome

An attempt to paint the previous setting in monochrome using only Burnt Sienna. Brian Keeler has a great saying which he repeats in all his videos, he says "tone does all the work whilst colour takes all the credit". I'm currently reading about an artist from Yorkshire called Ashley Jackson who paints wonderfully emotive watercolours particularly of the Yorkshire moors. Mr. Jackson says that one of the easiest ways to learn about tone is to paint monochromes, so I've took his advice and had a go.